1. To be eligible to win, participating schools must be public, private or schools, colleges or universities based in the United States.
2. To enter, sign up for the Organic Trade Associations (OTA’s) newsletter at http://www.organicitsworthit.org/school-newsletter. Once there, list the name, city and state of the school you wish to receive an organic garden or organic vending machine.
3. Schools must receive at least 1,000 to be eligible to win.
4. If the winning school declines the award, the second highest ranked vote recipient will win. This will continue until the next highest ranked vote recipient that has the minimum required votes accepts.
5. Individuals may vote more than once for a single school or multiple schools, but he/she will receive multiple subscriptions to the OTA newsletter.
6. The winning school may select either a vending machine with organic foods or materials for the development of an organic garden:
o The vending machine will become the property of the winning school. Organic food will be provided for a year, for which the school retains profit. After the complimentary food has been provided, the school will be responsible for the purchase of the food through the organic vending machine provider.
o The garden includes seeds, tools and supporting materials for a garden size determined between the winning school and OTA. It will also feature a visit from an organic gardener to provide instructions, tips and other information to cultivate an organic garden. School must begin cultivating the garden within 14 months of receiving their award.
7. OTA is not liable for damage to or malfunctioning of the vending machine, or the food within the vending machine. OTA is not liable for the cultivation or production of the garden.
8. Voting concludes at 11:59 p.m. ET on May 1, 2010.
9. The OTA will notify the principal or vice-principal of the winning school by phone and email by 11:59 p.m. ET on May 7, 2010.
10. If the school does not accept the award by phone or email within four days of notification, the school will no longer be eligible to be a winner.
11. The award is non-transferable.
12. OTA reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend this initiative at any time if necessary for any reason.