From Maria Rodale, Rodale.com
It’s time for a break from my relentless “manifesto-ing.” It’s time for breakfast! After all, it’s hard to keep thinking big, hard thoughts without good food in your belly. My 3-year-old always asks for French toast with “makeup syrup.” That’s maple syrup to the rest of us. As I was making it for us this morning, I realized just what an organic pleasure it truly is.
Here is what I do:
4 pieces whole grain bread
1/3 cup milk
2 Tablespoons butter
Organic maple syrup
1. I start with good whole grain bread. Lately I’ve been able to buy Rudi’s Organic Bakery Colorado Cracked Wheat Bread at Wegmans. The good thing about French toast is that it’s just fine if the bread is a little stale, and whole grains get covered with so many other yummy things that kids never complain if you make it with hearty bread.
2. Then I get out the eggs, which I am fortunate to get from my mother’s farm (she’s gone, but the chickens are still laying!). They are all shapes and sizes and colors, including green and blue. They are awesome.
3. I put the eggs and milk in a wide shallow bowl and mix them up with a fork.
4. Melt the butter in a large skillet (I prefer cast iron). I love Organic Valley Pasture Butter. You know the cows that made that butter have a good life!
5. Dip the bread into the milk and eggs, cover it with the mixture, and put it in the skillet. Turn it over once and cook until it’s done.
6. On the plate, add the organic maple syrup. I’ve been buying Coombs Family Farms certified-organic pure maple syrup, and it’s really, really good. I mean it!
This breakfast for two is even better if you make some organic bacon to go with it. But that’s a once-in-a-while treat, while the French toast is something quick and easy that you can make anytime.
And now…back to work!