Recipe courtesy of Cal-Organic Farms/Grimmway Farms
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 lb gold beets
• 2 quart water, divided
• 1 parsnip, trimmed and cut in chunks
• 1 carrot, trimmed and cut in chunks
• 1 leeks, cleaned, trimmed, and cut in chunks
• 3 garlic cloves, peeled
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 1 tbsp rosemary, fresh, chopped
• 1/2 orange, juice of
1. Bring 1 quart of water to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan. Add beets, lower heat and cook for about 45 minutes.
2. In a separate medium-sized saucepan, bring one quart of water to a boil. Add parsnips, carrot, leek, garlic, salt, pepper and rosemary. Lower heat and cook for about 45 minutes.
3. Take a beet out of the pot with tongs, run it under cold water and test to see if skin is easily rubbed off. If yes, peel all of the beets in this manner, then cut into chunks. If skin is not easily rubbed off, return to pot and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes and retest.
4. Add the peeled, chunked beets to the remaining veggies, along with the orange juice and balsamic vinegar.
5. Drain the veggies, reserving the broth. Puree the veggies in batches, adding liquid as needed. Combine the remaining stock with the pureed veggies and serve.