Contributed by Mary Jane Butters, Mary Jane's Farm
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 38 minutes
Makes: 16 servings
1 c. finely ground graham cracker crumbs
1 tbsp organic sugar
5 tbsp unsalted organic butter, melted
½ c. cream cheese, room temperature
1 tbsp finely grated organic lemon zest
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
2 organic egg yolks
2/3 c. fresh organic lemon juice (4-5 small lemons)
¼ c. organic heavy cream
Grated organic lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Oil an 8” square pan with cooking spray.
2. Stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter in a medium bowl. Press evenly and firmly into bottom of a prepared pan using hands or bottom of a small measuring cup. Bake until golden brown, 18-20 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on wire rack. Do not turn off oven.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese and lemon zest until creamy and thoroughly combined. Add milk and whisk thoroughly until there are no lumps of cream cheese remaining. Whisk in egg yolks and lemon juice.
4. Spread filling evenly over crust, smoothing top with a rubber spatula. Bake until filling is set, 15-18 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack, then refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight.
5. For optional garnish, whip cream until still peaks form. Top each square with a dollop of whipped cream and a bit of lemon zest.